Jammu: The operation started after the attack on the army base in Sunjwan, Jammu-Kashmir is continuing even after 30 hours. Five soldiers and 2 civilians have lost their lives in this attack. Three terrorists have been killed in this operation. There is a suspicion that one or two more terrorists are still holed up here. The intelligence agencies informed that the attack was planned by the ‘Jaish-e-Mohammed’ chief Maulana Masood Azhar and ‘Sayyad Salahuddin’ the ‘Hizbul Mujahideen’ chief.
The army base in Sunjwan was attacked at about 4.30 am on Saturday. The terrorists targeted the residential building for the families of the soldiers. Two of the attacking terrorists were killed on Saturday in the conflict itself. But, the body of one more terrorist has been found on Sunday. The weapons, maps and the other equipment found on the terrorists suggests that they have been receiving help from across the border.
The Jammu-Kashmir police have claimed that the attackers are from Pakistan. The terrorists entered from the posterior side of the base. This part neither has a solid security wall nor is fenced properly. Therefore, it is presumed that the terrorists had conducted a survey before planning the attack.
The terrorists attacked the Sunjwan base and entered the staff quarters building. At this time, the soldiers and their families were fast asleep. Five soldiers were martyred in the attack on Saturday. The killed include two JCO’s, one NCO, two soldiers and the father of one soldier. One more woman injured in the attack died later in the hospital. A girl aged 14 years, is critical among the other six injured. There is one pregnant woman has been hit injured by a bullet. The army spokes man said that the woman is now stable and has delivered a baby girl.
In view of this, the army is taking necessary steps to avoid more casualties while eliminating the terrorists. The operation is being executed, keeping the security of the families of the soldiers in mind. That is the reason the operation is taking more time said the army spokesman.
The army camp in ‘Nagrota’ was attacked in a similar style in 2016. This attack is about 15 months after that. Even in the Nagrota attack the terrorists had attempted to enter the family quarters on the base. This makes it evident that the terrorists have the ghastly plot to attack the families along with the soldiers.
The intelligence agencies are claiming that the attack has been orchestrated by the ‘Jaish-e-Mohammed’ chief Maulana Masood Azhar and ‘Syed Salahuddin’ the ‘Hizbul Mujahideen’ chief. A few days ago, Azhar and Salahuddin had a meeting in Muzaffarabad in PoK. The attack was planned there.
The two organisations were considered to be competitors in the past. But, the security forces in their ruthless action against all terrorist organisations, have killed more than 200 terrorists in the last year.
It is clear from the Saturday attack that the terrorist organisations are coming together and the leaders are making their anti-India plots jointly after this.