New Delhi/Leh: Senior Indian and Chinese military officials held discussions to resolve the border dispute. Thereafter, China has taken its soldiers back by about two and a half kilometres, at three locations. Reports of reduction in Indian soldier deployment also have been received. Therefore, as predicted by the analysts, the tension on the border is diffusing.
For about a month, Indian and Chinese soldiers are involved in a standoff in the Galwan valley and Pangong lake regions. Both countries had deployed a large number of soldiers and military equipment in the sector. At the same time, the Chinese government media were threatening India, reminding of the 1962 war. But the Indian military gave an equivalent reply to China, increasing the deployment. Thereafter, the Chinese arrogance seemed to have softened, since the last week. The Chinese tone changed and it started singing the tune of resolving the issue through discussions. Against this background, Lieutenant General Harmit Sign from the Indian Military and Major General Liu Lin from the Chinese People’s Liberation Army held talks. Both countries said that the talks were positive. Indications were that more rounds of talks would be held, between the two countries.
It is reported that, on Tuesday, the Chinese military retreated its soldiers and military vehicles from the Galwan, Patrolling point 15 and Hot Spring regions. The Chinese military is said to have moved back by nearly two and a half kilometres. India too has reduced the number of soldiers and military equipment from these three regions. There were reports of the Chinese military retreating by nearly 2 kilometres, even before the high-level talks between militaries of both the countries.
China has withdrawn its military, from some sectors in Ladakh, following discussions between the officials from the military as well as the foreign ministries. It is also reported that China is slowly reducing the number of soldiers from some of the border regions. This is considered to be a political victory for India. The senior military officials are scheduled to meet again in the next two to three days and it is said that these measures have been taken to reduce the tension before the meet.
While reports are being received of China retreating from certain areas, reports of Chinese helicopters hovering near the Indian border, in some sectors, also are being received. There is also a report saying that India has decided to reactivated the airstrip, at Daulat Beg Oldi, after 43 years. This airstrip is hardly 9 kilometres from the Chinese border.
Although, both the countries are withdrawing their militaries from the border region, the border dispute will not be resolved, anytime soon. Indications are that a similar tension could be created on the border again. As per military analysts, the Chinese infiltration in Ladakh was only to issue a warning to India. China is of the opinion that military cooperation being developed by India with the United States is against China. Also, the multinational companies exiting from China after the Coronavirus pandemic, are hinting of moving to India and on the other hand, India has taken harsh decisions to stop Chinese strategic investments.
At the same time, the discussions are rife that India is preparing to acquire Pakistan occupied Kashmir along with Gilgit-Baltistan. Against this background, China manoeuvred this infiltration to increase military pressure on India. But Indian military analysts and former military officials were confident that China would not be able to take any further steps against India.