A suicide bomber killed four people near one of the Islam’s holiest sites worldwide in Medina city of Saudi Arabia. Three suicide attacks in 24 hours in the month of Ramadan, the month that has seen the wider region plunged into a wave of terror related violence. A suicide bomber struck before dawn near the United States Consulate in Jeddah, second attack near a Shiite mosque in Qatif city and the deadliest occurred in Medina where four people were killed. The city is a major spot in Islam because that’s where the Prophet Mohammed is buried. The Saudi Arabian Interior Ministry identified the Jeddah bomber as Pakistani national Abdullah Qlazar Khan.
According to the information released by Saudi interior ministry, The Prophet Mohamed’s mosque was packed on Monday evening with worshippers during the final days of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Local media say the attacker was intending to strike the mosque when it was crowded with thousands of worshippers gathered for the sunset prayer. Here after being stopped by the security officers the attacker detonated his explosives. The said blast killed four security officers & injured others as per the primary information.
Few hours earlier In Qatif in eastern Saudi Arabia, a suicide bomber attempted to launch an attack at a Shiite mosque but failed, killing him in the process, according to an official with knowledge of the event. There were no injuries & near the US consulate in Jeddah city. No human casualties were reported in these two attacks however all of which appear to be coordinated targeting both Saudi security forces and Western interests. No group claimed responsibility of these suicidal attacks. Considering the nature of the attacks and their apparently coordinated timing suggested isis could be to blame. Tim Lister, a CNN expert on Middle East affairs, said the Saudi attacks fit the “modus operandi” of ISIS and the kingdom represents “a real target to show” ISIS “can punch above its weight.”
In March this year IS had instructed its supporters to attack US & other US-friendly nations. IS had warned that European nations, Saudi Arabia and other gulf countries will be targeted by the terrorists.
As mentioned earlier, The Saudi Interior Ministry identified the early Monday morning attacker near the US consulate in Jeddah as Abdullah Qlalzar Khan a Pakistani national. Khan was living in Saudi from last 12 years along with his family.
Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has expressed severe concern towards the Saudi attacks. Sharif strongly condemned this terrorists attack & urged for the international community to take collective action against terrorism. He said Pakistan stands firm against every act of terrorism. Iran has also condemned the Saudi suicidal terror attacks. Iran’s Foreign minister urged all gulf countries to unite to fight against terrorism.
Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Muhammed Bin Nayef bin Abdul-Aziz AlSaud who is also the Saudi Minister of Interior has informed people of Saudi Arabia to maintain patience and urged calm after this terrorists attacks.